We aim to accredit Drovers Holiday Cottage with GTBS or the Green Tourism Business Scheme and will undertake much of the work involved in this over the winter of 2010/11. We have already drawn up an action plan which will see the implementation of many new measures and initiatives to make Drovers Holiday Cottage a greener self catering option for you in Scotland.
This summer, we will install a 20kw wind turbine which will generate all the electricy required for heating, lighting and appliances for the cottage. So with its spring sourced water supply, septic tank and wind turbine....the cottage is vertually self-sufficient. How about that?!
At our home in Harperrig House we have installed a ground source heat pump and we are considering some solar thermal panels.
Here are some of the key things we have done to make Drovers Holiday Cottage more sustainable:
- 20kw grid connected wind turbine
- Ground Source Heat Pump (for main house)
- Wood burning stove in sitting room
- Natural Spring Water
- Good level of insulation (loft, walls, floor, double glazing)
- Recycling system
- Food waste goes to our pigs!
- Ecover cleaning products
- Home grown produce in kitchen garden available
- Home grown eggs available
- Feeding stations and hedge planting to encourage birds
Need to know more? Send us and enquiry.